Etiquette is one of the many keys to help you progress in your career and in life. It is a set of unwritten rules that apply to social situations, professional workplaces and relationships.
Specifically on the business world, is a valuable and essential skill-set that will make you stand out from others and enhance your presence.
The relationships you build are critical so establishing good rapport is significant if you want to progress your professional future, especially as you deal with high net worth individuals.
People with good etiquette are rewarded and noted when in the company of distinguished professionals and it is important to make a good impression. The way you dress and carry yourself impacts the way others perceive you.
Here are five tips when dealing with VIPs and high net worth individuals:
- Do your research. Make a good impression by reading everything the person has written. Learn more about his career and passions. Check his website or blog frequently, sign up for his newsletter, “Like” his Facebook page, follow him on Twitter and connect with him on LinkedIn.
- Don’t rush the process. If you want to cultivate a relationship with a VIP, don’t ask for assistance or favors prematurely. The best way to meet a VIP is through another connection or referral. A personal introduction ensures you have been vetted — someone who knows and trusts you already.
- Address correspondence correctly. In every letter or email, be sure to spell the recipient’s name correctly. If you omit his or her name altogether, it’s a giveaway you have sent the request to a list of people and it’s unlikely you’ll receive a response. Show your admiration and respect by personalizing your message.
- Flatter his work. When do you do something for someone, they are more willing to help you. If you have read his latest book or purchased one of his products, mention it. If his work or advice has made a difference in your life, tell him.
- Send a thank-you note. Even if you receive a negative response, send an email or, better yet, a handwritten note to thank the VIP for their time and effort. Let him or her know you appreciate the response. If his advice or actions were helpful, explain how your situation turned out.