Don’t wait for people to smile. Show them how. Let your guard down. Talk to someone you don’t know straight from your heart. Compliment them. Don’t anticipate awkwardness. Just be you in that beautiful way only you know and give them the chance to smile and connect with you. Remember, your best friend was once a stranger too.
Here are ten more ways to make a stranger smile.
1. Smile often.
2. Hold a door open for someone.
3. Pay for the person in line behind you.
4. Send a handwritten thank-you note to someone who assisted you with something.
5. Clean out all your old clothes and donate them to someone in need.
6. Give a compliment about a waiter, waitress, sales clerk, cashier, etc. to his or her manager.
7. Compliment a stranger’s appearance. Flatter them.
8. Leave encouraging post-it notes in library books and other random places.
9. Help an elderly person carry something.
10. Send flowers to someone anonymously.
To read 78 more ways to make a stranger smile, visit Marc and Angel Hack’s blog.