By Jorie Scholnik, guest blogger
The holiday season is my favorite time of year because I love the cold weather, festive decorations, the time I have with my family and the opportunity to give back. However, the one part of the holiday season that always seems to stress me out is going shopping amongst the crowds. It is important to me to find that perfect gift that will make the ones I love smile, but first I have to deal with the parking and then the masses in every store. If you are like me and are hoping to keep your holiday spirits high, follow these shopping tips to ensure that you and everyone else has a pleasant experience.
1. Don’t talk on your cell phone while checking out at the register.
2. If you are sorting through clothes and an item falls on the floor, make sure to pick it up and put it back on the hanger.
3. If someone is browsing a shelf, don’t stand right in front of them and block their view.
4. Don’t interrupt a salesperson while they are helping another customer.
5. Don’t berate the salesperson if the item is out of stock.
6. Know the return policy in advance so you don’t get aggravated by any surprises.
7. Be prepared for long lines, long wait times and busy stores.
8. Remember that this is supposed to be a festive time of year.
9. Smile at the store greeter and politely decline special offers if they are not what you are looking for.
10. Take everything in stride.
Jorie Scholnik has been interning seasonally at The Protocol School of Palm Beach, Inc. since June 2006. She is graduating in May with a M.Ed./Ed.S. in Marriage and Family Counseling and Mental Health Counseling.